Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Sewing Machine Meme

Over at Sew Mama Sew, they are hosting a month of Sewing Machine information. They asked for people to write about their sewing machines. Here's my contribution.


What brand and model do you have?

I have a red 1976 Viking Husqvarna beast that I was planning on taking a picture of to show you until my son did this to my camera. It is a Viking Selectronic 6570. The above picture I pulled off the internet.

How long have you had it?

I bought it used 13 years ago.

How much does that machine cost (approximately)?

It cost $300 then, it seemed like a lot to a young person not too long out of college.

What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)?

I have sewn several quilts, lots of pillows, window coverings, fleece blankets. I guess mostly home decor with the exception of the occasional mending of clothes.

How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get?

I haven't sewn anything in the past month. I am itching to sew. It goes in spurts depending on if I have any custom orders or if I am sewing for a show. During those times my machine gets lots of heavy use.

Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name?

It is a good machine, but getting worn out. I am having a hard time with the tension. I have learned how to fix a lot of the problems myself, but it is getting to the point where it needs replaced. Too much sewing of thick materials. No name for her, but a good sturdy and versatile machine. It was quite expensive when it was new.

What features does your machine have that work well for you?

It has a granny gear that is great for slow even sewing. It has 8 cogs that allow for many different stitches.

Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine?

Yes, the tension adjustment.

Do you have a great story to share about your machine (i.e., Found it under the Christmas tree? Dropped it on the kitchen floor? Sewed your fingernail to your zipper?, Got it from your Great Grandma?, etc.!)? We want to hear it!

No great stories, but she is a good machine.

Would you recommend the machine to others? Why?

Yes, especially if you are looking for a good old dependable machine. This is a workhorse with lots of bells and whistles. It is heavy and strong.

What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine?

Dependability, I don't want to waste time and money having my machine in the shop a lot. Also, with the type of things I currently sew, I need to have a machine that can sew through pretty thick things--layers. I do have an upholstery machine as well, but my regular sewing machine needs to be strong as well.

Do you have a dream machine?

Not yet, afraid to start dreaming. That usually leads to spending! Ha! Someday.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my! I have the exact, same sewing machine!!! I've had it serviced once since 1976 and that's it! I've made wedding dresses, home accents, tons and tons of my children's clothes, stuffed softies....it just keeps on going! yaaaaaay Viking!

Wendy said...

She's a good little beast =)

Jill said...

I have that machine too but it's a bit older... it belonged to my aunt's mother who provided for her family by working as a seamstress. It's the best little machine!

Glitzerblitz said...

Hej Wendy,
this sounds great! I came to live in Sweden a time ago and "inherited" the same sewing machine you have. But WITHOUT a manual.
I just want to sew "normal" seams. Found out with a lot of trying, sweating and cursing how to sew a straight seam. I wonder if you could help me find out how to do a zigzagstitch (which on of the "wheels/knobs" has to be on which "indication") - I'm sorry about my bad english :(
Would be absolutely great if you (of someone else) could help me.

Thanks a lot and have a fine day

Sverigetok

Unknown said...

I just bought this machine, it was in the original case, with everything including instruction manuals, cams, and table etc.. the cords smell new, it hasn't been used, just gorgeous, tension is not a reason to get rid of a machine, this machine is such a great machine, you will regret getting rid of it the newer machines are not as good, why don't you just get another machine to add to it, figure out your tension, it is either the top , your needle, the bottom bobbin which can be adjusted with a screw, it may have come loose with all the years of sewing and not being serviced? if you are quilting and want something that does this well, you will need a vertical bobbin not drop in, and a dual feed type and or walking foot, I recommend a pfaff 7570 for you, it has dual integrated feed, and lots of choices for you in decorative stitches.. another model that you might consider would be a bernina 440 quilters type sewing machine that has bernina stitch regulator, so if you do a lot of free motion top stitching on your quilt it makes sure the stitches are all equal etc. .. if you just want straight stitch that is fast for quilting, a pfaff hobby quilter is great with a bed, around 800, and very fast.. but I think you would love the pfaff 7570 it is an older machine but it has everything you would want.. I sew on singer 201 2 or 201 k , and I have a 401A , but I am going to use this machine now for a while, I love the red color, it is super quiet as well..
fix your tension issues, and keep it.. just add to it..
lisa
happy sewing

Unknown said...

I have the 6440. These are great machines. Here is a Yahoo user group you might like.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/vikingsewingmachinespre1980/info

They can give you advice in tweaking your machine and also have a list of approved repair shops you could send it to.

Regarding price, I paid $500 for mine in 1975 so $300 was not bad. On ebay a working machine is still go as high as $250. They are still in demand.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gregor said...

I recently inherited my granny's 6570. It hasn't been used for some years, and needs some service.
I found the official service instructions online and thought, you might find it useful, too:
http://www.butchwax.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Vikingservicemanuals.pdf

I'm still looking for the user manual, since the original got lost. I'll add a link to that if I can find one.

David E said...

Does it take a special bobbin for the lower thread? We have inherited on of these