Wednesday, May 20, 2009

How it All Started

Hello, my name is Wendy and I have a fabric addiction. It all started innocently enough. I do a lot of shopping online since it is downright difficult, if not impossible to shop in a real store while stringing along 3-4 kids (depending on the day). So, I turned to eBay. I eventually found a few sellers that I really trusted and would peruse their wares on a regular basis. Seems most of the textile manufacturers, and thus discount warehouses, are back east-- in the Carolinas and Georgia -- so shipping is a bear. At the time I had no interest in sewing apparel, I was shopping for home decor and upholstery weight fabric because I had a new home to decorate and hand-me-down furniture to slip-cover or reupholster. One seller in particular I really liked (and still like) browsing. His name is Ray and he has literally hundreds of fabrics up for bid every week. I was like a kid in a candy store--although with limited money. But over time--I have managed to collect quite a bit of beautiful "I might be able to use it someday" fabrics. I also have some "but it is so inexpensive" and "since I am buying this one fabric..." lucky buys. Here are some of his fabrics for sale this week.




Then, to give credence to my fabric and trim addiction, I decided to start sewing decorative pillows to sell at craft fairs and shows. Along the way I collected an industrial upholstery sewing machine, and industrial serger, and boxes and boxes of down/feather pillow inserts. I have learned a lot, perfected my pillow making technique, and discovered that not everyone shares my taste in fabric selection. Would you like to see some of my pillows?



Now, I am going to switch gears for awhile and start sewing in a different direction--aprons! I can't wait to get started. I still have fabric to shop for though. Oh darn!

1 comment:

Jill said...

The pillow you made Molly was so well done!